Updates

Update on Academic Liberty and Mentorship Seminar

Date: 10th Oct. 2019
Academic Liberty and Mentorship Seminar

The Students Organization for Liberty and Entrepreneurship (SOLE) is a body organized with the aim of mentoring society of all walks of life on a free society that matters in their daily lives.

The seminar was organized under the theme: “Promoting a Free, Peaceful and Prosperous Society in South Sudan”, facilitated by Mr. Mande Daniel, a former lecturer at MIKESE University and now a lecturer at St. John’s Catholic University in Yambio, South Sudan. Mr. Mande also doubles as Advisor to SOLE- South Sudan.
Participation
The seminar, slated for Friday, September 27, 2019 brought students from across four higher institutions of learning and they included: MIKESE University, St. John’s Catholic University, Yambio Institute of Management Studies and Solidarity Teachers’ Training College. Forty three students were in attendance.
The participants were very enthusiastic about the seminar that was tailored towards their respective needs. They were pursuing different disciplines in Health, Education, Public Administration, Business and Entrepreneurship, among others.

Topics Covered

The following were the topics covered in the three-hour seminar on career guidance:
The principles of academic liberty
Career and its definition
Career Decisions
Career Planning Dilemma
Lifetime Value of Education
Hours Invested in Education

  • Why Motivating Youth is Difficult
  • Typical Resources Used to Pick a Career
  1. Career Planning Process

However, it is worth-noting here that the below were topics prepared but there was no ample time allotted to have them covered, but they were very vital for the consumption of the students:

  1. Career Exploration Process
  2. Self-Assessment
  • Personality
    Basic Areas of Interest
    Learning about Jobs
    Career Clusters
    Career Information to Explore
    Career Exploration Quiz

Expectations of Participants

The following were some of the expectations of the participants about the seminar

  1. Award of certificates
  2. More of the seminars to be organized
  • More time be given for each seminar

Observations

The following were vital observations about the seminar/participants

  1. Career guidance education is badly needed in schools and colleges
  2. Students in high schools need career guidance more than those already in higher institutes of learning, who have already chosen a career to pursue.
  • The participants were eager to ask many more questions and seek clarifications, yet there was no ample time for that.
  1. Other participants seemed to like their fellows’ disciplines, meaning that they did not like their own career choices.

Ways Forward

  1. SOLE must do enough to reach out to students on career guidance and mentorship programs
  2. SOLE should very much target high school students where choice of career is hugely needed
    More ample time be allocated for each seminar, at least two full days programs be designed for this noble cause
    Students should be guided to choose a career that makes them proud and which they love to pursue.

 

Appendices

 

Report on Public Lecture on Economic Growth and Wealth Creation

Date: 10th Sept. 2019

Report on Public Lecture on Economic Growth and Wealth Creation

Students’ Organization for Liberty and Entrepreneurship on the 10th Oct.2019 conducted a three hours’ public lecture on economic growth and wealth creation with the aim of educating the participants to understand how they can be able to improve their economic status and individual prosperity. The public lecture to place at Mikese University College hall in Yambio South Sudan to total of 33 participants out of whom 10 were males and 23 were females. The participants were representatives from university colleges, business groups and civil society organization.

Observation
The participants were very happy and active during the lectures because they were able to resonate with subject matter.
The participants were very much interested and applaused SOLE for the public lecture on economic growth and wealth creation because the people of South Sudan now are focusing on development and individual growth.
Below is a picture of one of the participants thanking SOLE

  • Achivements
    We had planned for 30 participants but 33 turned up for the public lecture
    70% of the participants were females
    Based on the post lecture’s survey, it was noted that 98% of the participant acquired knowledge while the remaining 2% had an average knowledge on the subject matter which could be due to their career direction.
    The public lecture was in the news on the local radio station
    Challenges
    There was no group photo because the rains interrupted the lecture.